Chief Executive Officer / Partner
Patrick Kelly is a co-founder and CEO of The Mizen Group and has over 25 years’ experience in developing, growing, and managing complex top tier global banking, securities, and insurance projects as a partner with a big four consulting firm.
Since founding The Mizen Group, Mr. Kelly was engaged as the Technology & Operations lead for the Monitor appointed by NYDFS to oversee the remediation efforts of a global bank under a consent order. Mr. Kelly led review and remediation teams in over 20 international locations covering Investment Banking, Retail, Wealth Management and Private Banking. In addition, he was responsible for overseeing the team reviewing and validation the implementation of an AML solution for the Correspondent Banking division of the bank’s US entity.
Notable projects led by Mr. Kelly include:
- Reviews of compliance programs for NY banks
- Risk and regulatory assessments of banks
- BSA/AML model validations
- BSA/AML system selection for international banks
- Due diligence on a regional bank prior to purchase by a private equity firm
- Liquidation of assets from a bankrupt financial institution
Chief Technology Officer / Partner
Paul McCarthy is a co-founder and partner of The Mizen Group with 20+ years’ experience in delivering large complex and diverse technology, analytical and governance driven by the singular purpose of using data to effectively manage risk and improve decision making.
A senior technologist and strategist with experience formed from the vast array of the roles he has held in both fulltime and advisory capacities with major corporations to technology startups, Mr. McCarthy’s curiosity of data and strong understanding of business and technology facilitate his ability to communicate with all levels of an organization to influence change. Since the formation of The Mizen Group in 2014, notable roles and engagements to date include:
- Chair of Sanction Innovation and Technology Taskforce (SITT) at Association of Certified Sanctions Specialists
- Key member of a NYDFS appointed monitor at a global international bank with lead responsibilities to oversee the validation and implementation of an Actimize correspondent banking system.
- Designed and applied an approach to validate AI based AML risk models
- Designed an approach to create and leverage synthetic data sets to streamline testing, tuning, and optimization for implementation of various AML systems (e.g., Actimize, Mantas, etc.)
- Managing and overseeing development and production of our Mizen’s proprietary diagnostics to measure compliance processes (e.g., AML/sanctions, Cyber, Data Protection) as well as compliance and conduct culture at financial institutions.
- Leading teams to implement programs for DFSNY 504 certification, perform independent model validations, integrity validations, data governance, compliance program reviews.
- Contributing/sponsoring academic and industry innovative research in the areas of Sanctions, Big Data, Governance and Compliance in the RegTech space.